- Healthy Living Coalition -
In partnership with the Northwestern Health Unit and local volunteers, the Township of Sioux Narrows-Nestor Falls has formed a Healthy Living Coalition. Our mission is to build a supportive environment for healthy living and to create, provide and communicate opportunities for our residents to engage in a safe, healthy and active lifestyle.
Triple P Race!
The Sioux Narrows – Nestor Falls Healthy Living Coalition is planning to host its 5th Annual Triple P Fun Race September 12th, 2015 at 10:00 a.m., at Caliper Lake Provincial Park. The race consists of a 5k run, a 10k bike and a 5k canoe. We are looking for participants to race and volunteers to help with the race operation. Canoes are provided. Bring your own life jacket, bike and helmet. This event is open to everyone; kids, youth, adults, seniors, everyone. The cost to participate in the race is: Early Bird, $10.00 per person for those who register by July 30, 2015, or $15.00 per person, paid by September 9. 2015. Everyone receives a t-shirt, prize and a bbq lunch after the race. There will be posters up around the community closer to the date of the race with all of the details.
Click Triple P Race Entry Form 2015 to print a registration form to enter the Triple P Race!
If you are interested in volunteering to help with the race we need spotters, folks to be a water stations, help transporting and carrying canoes, as well as help with the lunch.
If anyone has questions, wants to register or wishes to help, please do not hesitate to get in touch with Holly Kropelin at 807-226-9626 or 807-484-2772.
Thanks and hope to see you there!
Healthy Living Coalition Members are:
- Holly Kropelin, Northwestern Health Unit
- Krista Smith, Community Member
- Cathy Linton, Community Member
The Healthy Living Coalition organizes events and activities that include:
- development of informational and promotional material regarding health and wellness opportunities in our community;
- organize annual Triple P Fun Race event, a tri-sport race held at Caliper Lake Provincial Park, Nestor Falls, for all ages, complete with barbeque and prizes;
- organize Health Fairs, Family Fun Days and other Health and Physical Activity Based Activities; and,
- partner with other organizations to promote health and wellness.
Programs & Promotions
Emergency Food & Clothing Needs Information
There are a number of Food & Clothing banks in the Kenora and Rainy River Districts that serve our community. For those in need or those who wish to donate, there are local options available to you. Watch the local bulletin boards, newspapers or listen to local radio stations for more information. Just to name a few, the following organizations give food and clothing to those who need it (please note, each agency may have qualification criteria), as well as accept food/clothing/monetary donations:
Rainy River District
- St. George’s Food Cupboard – Emo – 482.2700 – 1st & 3rd Wednesday every month from 1pm to 3pm. They serve families from Nestor Falls, Stratton, Emo & Devlin. Anyone interested should contact St. George’s by phone for details about how to access food or to make a donation.
- Fort Frances Salvation Army – Fort Frances – 274.3871 – Tuesdays & Thursdays every week from 10am to 12pm & 1pm to 3pm. They serve families in the Rainy River District, including Nestor Falls. Anyone interested should contact the Salvation Army by phone or drop in to their location for details about how to access food, clothing, Christmas Hampers, or to make a donation.
- United Native Friendship Centre – Fort Frances – 274.8541. They serve families in our region. Anyone interested should contact the United Native Friendship Centre by phone or drop in to their location for details on how to access emergency food.
- Kenora Salvation Army, Kenora – 807-468-8542. They serve families in the Kenora District, including Sioux Narrows. Anyone interested should contact the Salvation Army by phone or drop in to their location for details about how to access food, clothing or to make a donation. The Kenora Salvation Army does not provide Christmas Hampers to families outside of Kenora. They do, however, provide food in December to anyone in the District.
If anyone would like further information about the Health Living Coalition, call Holly at 807-226-9626.