- Healthy Living Coalition -
The Healthy Living Coalition is a partnership with the Northwestern Health Unit and local volunteers, supported by the Township of Sioux Narrows – Nestor Falls. Our mission is to build a supportive environment for healthy living and to create, provide and communicate opportunities for our residents to engage in a safe, healthy and active lifestyle. The Healthy Coalition Members are Holly Kropelin (Northwestern Health Unit), Krista Smith (Community Member) and Cathy Linton (Community Member).
The Healthy Living Coalition organizes events and activities that include the development of informational and promotional material regarding health and wellness opportunities in our community; Health Fairs, Family Fun Days and other Health and Physical Activity Based Activities; partnerships with other organizations to promote health and wellness; and organize the annual Triple P Fun Race event, a tri-sport race for all ages held at Caliper Lake Provincial Park in Nestor Falls, complete with barbeque and prizes.
Programs & Promotions
Emergency Food & Clothing Needs Information
There are a number of Food & Clothing Banks in the Kenora and Rainy River Districts that serve our community. For those in need or those who wish to donate, there are local options available to you. Watch the local bulletin boards, newspapers or listen to local radio stations for more information. The following organizations give food and clothing to those who need it (please note, each agency may have qualification criteria), as well as accept food/clothing/monetary donations:
Rainy River District
- St. George’s Food Cupboard , Emo – 807-482-2700 – 1st & 3rd Wednesday every month from 1pm to 3pm. They serve families from Nestor Falls, Stratton, Emo and Devlin. Anyone interested should contact St. George’s by phone for details on how to access food or to make a donation.
- Fort Frances Salvation Army, Fort Frances – 807-274-3871 – Tuesdays & Thursdays every week from 10am to 12pm & 1pm to 3pm. They serve families in the Rainy River District, including Nestor Falls. Anyone interested should contact the Salvation Army by phone or drop in to their location for details on how to access food, clothing, Christmas Hampers, or to make a donation.
- United Native Friendship Centre, Fort Frances – 807-274-8541. They serve families in our region; Anyone interested should contact the United Native Friendship Centre by phone or drop in to their location for details about how to access emergency food.
- Kenora Salvation Army, Kenora – 807-468-8542. They serve families in the Kenora District, including Sioux Narrows. Anyone interested should contact the Salvation Army by phone or drop in to their location for details about how to access food, clothing or to make a donation. The Kenora Salvation Army does not provide Christmas Hampers to families outside of Kenora. They do, however, provide food in December to anyone in the District.
If anyone would like further information about the Health Living Coalition, please call Holly at 807-226-9626.