- Development -

Building and Permits

The Ontario Building Code requires that property owners obtain a building permit prior to commencing construction (including renovations) or demolishing all or part of an existing building.

Blue Notebook Icon
Permit Applications & By-Laws

Permit Applications & By-Laws

Common building permit application forms are available online at the provincial Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing website by clicking here.

You can also pick one up at the Township of Sioux Narrows – Nestor Falls Municipal Office.

Building By-Law

View the Township of Sioux Narrows – Nestor Falls’ Building By-Law.  For questions respecting this by-law, please contact the Township office and ask how to get in touch with the CBO/Building Inspector.


Fees are due when an application is approved by the CBO/Building Inspector.

Demolition Permits

You need to obtain a demolition permit to relocate or demolish an existing building or structure. Note that certain building types and interior partitions do not require a demolition permit.

Required Inspections:

Inspections are required to determine whether the project has been constructed in compliance with the Ontario Building Code. A document detailing the required inspection stages will be provided when you receive the permit. When your project reaches an inspection stage, you are required to contact the building inspector identified on your permit to schedule the inspection. Inspection requests require a minimum of 48 hours notice, commencing the day after notification is received and does not include weekends, holidays or any day the Township business office is closed. Failure to give notice for inspection of each construction stage for which advanced notice is required under the Building Code shall be grounds for issuance of an order to uncover or Engineer’s report at the expense of the permit holder.

Refer to Building Inspections for additional information and a complete list of requirements. Other inspections may also be required depending upon the nature of the work completed.

Septic Permits

The Northwestern Health Unit (NWHU) co-ordinates the review and approval of any septic system installed, altered or repaired, anywhere in Northwestern Ontario. A review of existing septic systems by the Northwestern Health Unit for any additions larger than 15% of the existing area or the addition of plumbing fixtures is required and approval of same must be obtained in writing. Information packages that include the required application forms are available from any NWHU office location. Or contact 807-468-3147 for residents in the Sioux Narrows area and north and 807-274-9827 for residents in the Nestor Falls area and South.

Electrical Permits & Inspections

For all wiring, with or without hydro, contact the Electrical Safety Authority at 1-877-372-7233. For new electrical service to a property, contact Hydro One at 1-888-664-9376.

Shore Land Work Permits

For any work to shore lands, including crib docks, retaining walls, beaches, etc., contact the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) and Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) Offices nearest to you. MNR may require you to complete a Work Permit Application. DFO may require you to complete a DFO Notice of Project. For MNR, contact 807-468-2501 for residents in the Sioux Narrows area and north and 807-274-5337 for residents in the Nestor Falls area and South. For DFO, contact 807-468-6441 for residents in both Sioux Narrows and Nestor Falls.

Orange Dump Truck Icon
Projects That Require Building Permits

Projects That Require Building Permits

Under the Ontario Building Code Act, a building permit is required for the construction of a new building, an addition, or alteration of any building or structure. When in doubt, contact the Chief Building Official and he will clarify whether you need a permit or not.

This list includes:

  • All attached decks
  • Any detached deck greater than 2 feet off the ground or larger than 528 square feet
  • Attached or detached garages and sheds
  • Installation of solid fuel appliances (i.e. woodstoves and fireplaces)
  • Sunrooms, solariums and porches
  • Alterations to a plumbing system (except replacing fixtures)
  • Structural foundation repairs


The demolition of any existing building

Interior and exterior structural alterations, such as:

  • adding or removing walls, i.e., creating different room sizes and/or uses
  • one- and two-story additions
  • new windows where there were none before
  • enlarging or relocating a window or door
  • finishing a basement

Special care also needs to be taken for abandoning a well or septic system. For further details, please contact the Township office and ask how to get in touch with the CBO/Building Inspector.


  • Installation of cleanouts and backwater valves
  • Conversion from septic to sanitary sewer
  • Livestock buildings
  • Equipment storage buildings
  • Silos
  • Manure storage structures (excluding earthen structures)
  • Riding Arena
  • Cover all type structures (fabric / hoop)
  • Green building initiatives, such as:
  • Storm and grey water use
  • Roof top storm water retention systems
  • Structures used in the support of a wind turbine generator with a rated output of more than 3kW
  • Installation of solar collector systems with a face area equal to or greater than 5 m²

Grey Paintbrush Icon
What Does NOT Require a Permit

What Does NOT Require a Permit

A building permit is not required for a detached accessory structure (gazebo, tool shed, etc.) that measures 15 square metres (161 square feet) in area or less and must not contain plumbing. When in doubt, contact the Chief Building Official and he will clarify whether you need a permit or not.

The following is a list of projects that do not require a permit*:

  • Installing asphalt shingles on a roof
  • Repointing of brick veneer
  • Damp proofing of basements
  • Replacing siding, without the addition of any exterior foam insulation
  • Replacing doors or windows (provided they are in the same size opening)
  • Kitchen or bathroom cabinets (not including plumbing)
  • New flooring
  • Installation of air conditioning units or heat pumps
  • Replacing existing forced-air furnace
  • Fences
  • Pool heaters
  • Painting and decorating
  • Landscaping
  • Earthen manure storage structure
  • Installation of solar collector systems having a face area less than 5 m²

* Note: Although a building permit may not be required, your project must still comply with the Ontario Building Code and any applicable law, such as the zoning by-law.

Bridge & Falls Creative Residency
Get your fire permit online. Register for Fire Hazard & Restricted Fire Zone Alerts!